This egg roll in a cup recipe is a twist to egg rolls. This is a healthier version of the popular egg roll! But it leaves you just as satisfied!!
Rather than rolled up in an egg roll wrapper and deep fried, this recipe places the filling into a little baked wonton cup! So easy, so healthy, so fun!!
These egg rolls rock!!
Ingredients in the Egg Roll in a Cup…
Lowfat ground turkey rather than pork makes this a healthy snack! Also included is cabbage coleslaw mix, green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and salt & pepper.
Wonton wrappers, found in the fresh veggie section of the grocery store, provide the “cups” to hold the yummy egg roll filling!
I also like to top these little delights with a dollop of sweet & sour sauce!
Making the Cups…
If you’ve never bought wonton wrappers, you’ll find them in the fresh veggie area of your supermarket. These beautiful little wonders bake up all crispy to make the perfect shell for stuffing!
Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Carefully push a wonton wrapper into each tin. I use a little juice glass to help accomplish this part. Be careful not to tear the wrapper as you’re pushing it into the tin.
Then, coat the wontons with a coat of cooking spray, which will make them crisp in the oven. Bake them at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes until they’re golden brown.
While they’re baking, you can be frying up the egg roll filling.
Mixing the Egg Roll Filling…
This egg roll filling is super duper easy to make! Right up my alley!!
Place the ground turkey in a large skillet. Season with a little salt and pepper.
If you’re using a non-stick skillet you probably don’t even need to add oil. But you can add a little sesame oil to help prevent sticking if you’d like to.
Crumble the ground turkey while it browns. It only takes a few minutes to fry up the meat!
You probably don’t need to drain this lean meat, but if there are any drippings in the pan drain them off. Then add the garlic and ginger, and cook for about a minute until fragrant. Mmmmm!
Add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Then add in the bag of cabbage coleslaw mix. It looks like a lot of cabbage!! But trust me, it’ll cook down.
Also add in the green onions. Stir fry this all until the veggies cook down and are tender. This will take about 5 minutes.
Assemble the Egg Roll Cups…
Place the wonton shells on a serving platter. Fill them with the Egg Roll mixture. You can top with a few more sliced green onions if you’d like.
I like to also top with a little sweet & sour sauce. Yum yum sauce, sweet chili sauce, or any sauce you like would be beautiful too!
These Egg Rolls in a Cup are fun to serve along with Chicken Wonton Tacos in a Cup!!!
Egg Roll in a Wonton Cup
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey ground chicken or pork works too!
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 17-oz bag coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos if strictly keto
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- 20 baked wonton shells
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. Push won ton wrap into each cup (can use a small glass so they don't tear). Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Remove won ton shells from muffin tins, and place on a serving plate (you can bake wraps ahead, if desired).
- Place the ground turkey in a large skillet. Season with a little salt and pepper. If you're using a non-stick skillet you probably don't even need to add oil. But you can add a little sesame oil to help prevent sticking if you'd like to. Crumble the ground turkey while it browns. Cook thoroughly, about 5-7 minutes on medium-high.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook about a minute until fragrant. Then add the soy sauce and sesame oil along with the coleslaw mix and the green onions. Stir fry/cook on medium-high about 5 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Place the wonton shells on a serving platter. Fill them with the Egg Roll mixture. You can top with a few more sliced green onions if you'd like. Top with sauce of your choice, like sweet & sour sauce.