This is the best potato salad, hands down!!! This side dish is a flavor burst!!! This is my family’s favorite recipe for tater salad, and it will be your favorite too!
This tasty and easy side dish goes well with any entrée, but pairs especially well with grilled meats, hamburgers, and brats! This salad finishes off the ultimate summer meal, and it will definitely be your go-to side dish!!
Ingredients for the Best Potato Salad…
This recipe is made with little red potatoes! I think these cute little reds are the tastiest ever!! And it’s so easy to prepare the potatoes, there’s no peeling!! The peelings add flavor and texture to this yummy side dish!
You’ll also use hard-boiled eggs in this recipe.
What makes this the best potato salad ever is the other ingredients!! Crispy bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and yummy dressing ingredients! Oh my gosh, is your mouth watering already???
Making the Best Potato Salad…
You’ll need to thoroughly rinse and scrub the little reds! I put them in a sink of warm water and let them soak a few minutes. Then I use a plastic scrubbie to scrub them clean. Rinse them well with water and put them into a large kettle.
When all the potatoes are scrubbed, rinsed, and in the kettle fill it with water to about 1 inch above the layer of taters.
On medium high heat, bring the water to a boil. Once it’s boiling it takes about 15 minutes for the potatoes to cook.
I test them for doneness with a sharp steak knife. When the knife goes in easily, they’re done! You don’t want them to cook too mushy and soft, but you don’t want them to be hard either. It’s a fine line, so use the knife method to test for doneness!!
When the potatoes are done cooking, transfer them to a colander to cool. I usually let them cool for about 30 minutes. You can also cool them in cold water. You’ll need to cool the potatoes to be able to handle them while you’re slicing them up for the salad!
Slice the potatoes into small cubes. I don’t “measure” the cubes, but they vary from about ½” to 1”.
The bacon and the eggs…and the onions too!
While the potatoes are cooking, you can also fry up the bacon and hard boil the eggs!
I like to slice my bacon into 1-inch strips before frying it, so there’s not even any crumbling needed. If you don’t slice your bacon ahead of time, crumble it when it’s done! Drain the cooked bacon on paper towels.
To boil the eggs just add them to a kettle and cover them with water. Over medium heat let the water come to a boil. Once boiling, I reduce the heat a bit so they’re softly boiling. I like my eggs to boil for about 5 minutes or so to ensure they’re nice and done!
Rinse the eggs in cold water and let them sit in the cold water to cool. Then peel them!
Chop up 3 of the hard-boiled eggs to add to the potatoes. The other two eggs will be used as a topping!
Rinse 3 green onions, and thinly slice them up! These add such yummy flavor to this side dish!!!
I buy shredded cheddar cheese (I always have a bag or two in my fridge!), but if you don’t you will also need to shred your cheese now!
In a large mixing bowl gently stir together the cubed potatoes, chopped eggs, sliced green onions, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese. Don’t stir too vigorously, or you’ll have potato mush, lol!!
Mix the mayo, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper with a whisk until it’s all creamy and dreamy!
Carefully and gently fold the dressing into the mixed ingredients.
Finishing it off!
Transfer the mixed up salad to your serving bowl. Slice the remaining hard-boiled eggs and place them across the top of the salad. Sprinkle paprika lightly over the top.
Let the finished salad sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours so all the flavors are absorbed into the ingredients. If you’re able to plan ahead, the salad is even better if it sits overnight!
This recipe would nicely complement Chicken Lombardy. We enjoy this recipe all summer long with our favorite grilled foods. I’m sure you will too!!!
Best Potato Salad
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds red potatoes boiled whole, peels on
- 5 eggs boiled
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 pound bacon fried and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- sprinkle paprika
- Scrub and rinse potatoes. Don't peel! Place in large kettle, and add enough water to fully cover an inch above all potatoes. Over medium high heat bring water and potatoes to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes, or until a thin steak knife can easily be inserted into them. Then they're done! Strain and let cool for about 30 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, hard boil 5 eggs. Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and crumble. Rinse and slice green onions thinly.
- When potatoes are cooled enough to handle, slice into small cubes about 3/4 inch thick into a large mixing bowl. Peel and chop up 3 of the hard boiled eggs and add to the potatoes. Also add the cheese, bacon, and green onions. Carefully stir to mix, so the potatoes don't get mushy.
- In a medium bowl whisk the mayo, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until creamy. Carefully fold sauce into the other ingredients with a large spoon or rubber spatula.Transfer potato salad to a medium serving bowl. Peel and slice the remaining 2 hard boiled eggs and lay them across the top of the potato salad. Sprinkle with paprika.Cover with plastic wrap, and let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow the flavor to absorb together.