These tender lavender shortbread cookies melt in your mouth! With a hint of lemon, they are the perfect pairing for an afternoon snack with a cup of tea. Whether you’re a tea drinker or not, you’ll love these yummy cookie treats!
These lavender cookies are a little bit of heaven in a cookie. I imagine I’m nibbling them in the French countryside in a field of lavender!! Haha, wouldn’t that be the most relaxing thing ever?! Ahhhh….
Ingredients in the Lavender Shortbread Cookies…
You’ll want to make sure to purchase culinary grade lavender if you aren’t growing it yourself. This way it is safe from sprays and anything else you don’t want to eat!!
Along with the culinary lavender…lemon zest, softened butter, powdered sugar, flour, and salt are the other ingredients in these lavender shortbread cookies.
Making the Lavender Shortbread Cookies…
These cookies are soooo easy to make! It literally takes just a few minutes to mix up the six ingredients in the cookies. Then a few hours chillin’ in the fridge, slice and bake!!
Place lavender and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl.
Add the lemon zest add to the powdered sugar and lavender. I use a fork to fluff these three ingredients together!
Cream the softened butter into this mixture. You can use an electric mixer or just cream it all together by hand.
Slowly stir in the flour and salt. The dough gets pretty stiff! You can even use your hands to “stir/mix” the last of the flour into the shortbread dough.
Roll the dough into a log about 2” in diameter. Then…roll the log into parchment paper or waxed paper and place it in the refrigerator to chill for about 2-3 hours.
Baking the Cookies…
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Remove the dough log from the oven and cut into ½” slices. The recipe makes about 24 cookies.
Place the slices on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and sprinkle a little more sugar and lavender on top if you want to.
Bake for about 15 minutes. The cookies will be slightly browned when they’re done. And your kitchen will smell sooo good!
When the cookies are done remove them to a cooking rack.
These cookies freeze nicely, so you can keep them on hand for when company pops in or your craving a sweet treat!
Lavender Shortbread Cookies
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon culinary lavender
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- In a mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and culinary lavender. Mix to combine.Add in the softened butter and lavender extract. Beat until smooth and mixed thoroughly.Slowly add in the flour and salt, mixing well until flour is completely mixed in.Roll the dough into a log shape in parchment paper and chill for 3 hours.Slice cookies 1/4 to 1/2 inch inch thickPlace cookies onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paperBake at 375 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are almost starting to brown.Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack before serving.
- In a large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, lemon zest, and culinary lavender. Add in softened butter. Beat or stir until smooth and mixed thoroughly.Slowly add flour and salt. Mix well until flour is completely mixed.
- Use your hands to roll dough into a log shape. Then roll into parchment paper and chill for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Cut chilled dough into 1/2 inch slices. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet, and bake at 375° for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.Cool on rack, then store in air tight container.