If you’re looking for that perfect side dish, this twice baked potato casserole recipe if for you! This potato side complements any entrée you’re serving!!
I’ve also served this twice baked potato casserole recipe as an item in my brunch menu! Soooo yummy!
Ingredients in the Twice Baked Potato Casserole Recipe…
The best thing about this recipe are the simple ingredients it uses! I bet you already have almost everything in your fridge or pantry to make this delectable dish!!
Russet potatoes, bacon, milk, sour cream, butter, cheddar cheese, a couple green onions (chives work too!), a little oil, season salt, and salt & pepper. That’s it!
Preparing the Recipe…
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Scrub the potatoes clean, and rub them with a little canola oil. Place them on baking sheet, and bake about 40-50 minutes. I usually poke a sharp knife in them to test doneness. You want them to be baked soft.
You can bake up the potatoes the day before. And store them in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the casserole.
While the potatoes are baking, fry up the bacon. Crumble it.
Take out your milk, butter, and sour cream to allow it to warm a bit. If you forget to do this, don’t worry. Put these dairy items into a microwaveable dish and pop them in the micro for about 45 seconds.
Leave the skin on two of the baked potatoes, and peel the others. Cut potatoes into thirds and place in a large bowl.
Add warmed butter, milk, and sour cream to potatoes. Also add in one cup of the cheddar cheese, half of the bacon, the season salt, and the salt & pepper. Mash away until creamy!!
Place in a greased casserole dish, and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Add more of the shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon to the top of the potatoes. Bake until the cheese is all melty and dreamy!
If you need oven space for something else, you could also heat this recipe in the slow cooker on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour.
Top the baked casserole with the green onions or chives.
Serve up this twice baked potato casserole with a dollop of sour cream, and a few more green onions if you’d like. Delish!!!
I recently made these potatoes, and served them with my Chicken Lombardy recipe and garlic parmesan asparagus. We had lemon meringue pie for dessert! And all on a weeknight too, lol!!
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- ½ pound bacon
- 8 medium russet potatoes Equal to about 6 pounds
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 sticks salted butter softened and sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3 green onions sliced
- salt &pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Take out the butter, sour cream, and milk and set them aside, they shouldn’t be cold when combined with the potatoes.
- Scrub the potatoes clean. Wipe them dry and rub them with canola oil. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, until they can be easily sliced.
- While the potatoes bake, cook the bacon in a large pan slowly on low heat. As the edges begin to curl, use tongs to flip them over periodically until evenly cooked. Set them aside on a paper towel-lined plate to cool once finished.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and decrease the heat to 350 degrees.
- Leave the skins on two of the potatoes and peel and discard the remaining skins. Cut each potato into thirds and add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and set some aside for topping the casserole. Add the rest to the mixing bowl along with the butter, sour cream, milk, grated cheese, seasoned salt, and salt and pepper.
- Smash the potatoes with a potato masher until well-combined and creamy.
- Add the potatoes to a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Top the casserole with reserved bacon and additional shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes. You can also put this casserole in the slow cooker on low for 2 hours or high for 1 hour. Top with sliced green onions and serve!